NATIONAL ARTS COUNCIL OF ZAMBIA ACT
Arrangement of Sections
1. Short title
NATIONAL ARTS COUNCIL OF ZAMBIA
4. Establishment of Council
5. Functions of Council
6. Powers of Council
7. Power to appoint committee to inquire into activities of registered body
8. Power to order suspension of activities of registered body
9. Power to order suspension of office bearer
10. Provincial arts advisory committee
11. District arts advisory committees
12. Conditions applicable to members of committees
13. Prohibition of publication or disclosure of information to unauthorised persons.
14. General matters relating to committees
15. Associate bodies
REGISTRATION OF NATIONAL ARTS ASSOCIATION
17. Registration of national arts associations
18. Effect of non-registration
19. Application for registration
20. Grounds for refusing to register national arts association
21. Notification of grounds
22. Cancellation of registration
23. Notification of intended cancellation
24. Appeal against refusal to register association or cancellation of registration
25. Affiliation to Council of registered body
26. Independence of registered and associate bodies
27. Appeals to Minister
28. Directions by the Minister
29. Dissolution of registered body
to establish and define the functions and powers of the National Arts Council of Zambia; to provide for the registration of, and affiliation to, the National Arts Council of Zambia of all national arts associations; to provide for the establishment of the Arts Development Fund; and to provide for matters connected with or incidental to the foregoing.
[21st October, 1994]
Act 31 of 1994,
Act 13 of 1994.
This Act may be cited as the National Arts Council of Zambia Act.
(1) The Societies Act shall not apply to an association or a body registered under this Act.
(2) An association or a body registered under the Societies Act shall register under this Act within six months of the coming into force of this Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
“associate body” means an associate body referred to in section 15;
“Chairperson” means the person elected as Chairperson of the Council under sub-paragraph (2) of paragraph 2 of Part I of the Schedule;
“Council” means the National Arts Council of Zambia established by section 4;
“Director” means the person appointed as Director of the Council in accordance with sub-paragraph (1) of paragraph 9 of Part II of the Schedule;
“member” means a member of the Council;
“Registrar” means the Registrar of national arts associations appointed under section16;
“registered body” means a national arts association registered under section17;
“Vice-Chairperson” means the person elected as Vice-Chairperson of the Council under sub-paragraph (2) of paragraph 2 of Part I of the Schedule.
NATIONAL ARTS COUNCIL OF ZAMBIA
(1) There is hereby established the National Arts Council of Zambia which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, capable of suing and of being sued in its corporate name, and with power, subject to the other provisions of this Act, to do all such acts and things as a body corporate may by law do or perform.
(2) The provisions of the Schedule shall apply as to the composition of the Council and otherwise in relation thereto.
Subject to the other provisions of this Act the functions of the Council shall be to—
(a) keep itself fully appraised of the policy of the Government in matters concerning arts and to disseminate that policy;
(b) serve as the supreme advisory body at national level on policy and decisions on all forms of arts in the country;
(c) provide quality artistic leadership in performing and visual arts;
(d) develop, promote, regulate and encourage all forms of amateur and professional arts on a national basis in conjunction with the associations and the Government;
(e) assist the formation of associations or organisations and encourage them to register as national arts associations so as to represent different groups of associations in Zambia and to encourage the affiliation of those associations to the appropriate international organisations;
(f) assist, financially or otherwise, any group or individual in representing Zambia in any artistic activity within or outside Zambia;
(g) assist, financially or otherwise, in conjunction with the Government, any citizen of Zambia in obtaining relevant training within or outside Zambia;
(h) raise and maintain a fund from such sources and by such means as the Minister may approve to enable the Council to carry out its functions;
(i) stimulate, through the registered bodies, the provision, development and maintenance of equipment, instruments and facilities for all kinds of arts and ensure their equitable distribution and proper use;
(j) ensure that arts groups at all levels maintain proper accounts and, where considered necessary, to supervise and direct the maintenance of these accounts;
(k) regulate and provide modalities for the award of national honours for artistic merit;
(l) exercise disciplinary powers in cases of breach of the provisions of this Act;
(m) regulate and monitor all national arts programmes presented in Zambia;
(n) promote the development and organisation of the arts; and
(o) do and perform such other functions as may be conducive to the development and promotion of the arts and to the enforcement of this Act.
Subject to the other provisions of this Act, the powers of the Council shall be—
(a) to employ, control and direct such staff as it may consider necessary;
(b) to investigate the accounts and affairs of a registered body; and
(c) to make such orders as the Council considers necessary where a report on a matter relating to the affairs of the Council is made to it.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.