PUBLIC OFFICERS’ PENSIONS (ZAMBIA) AGREEMENT (IMPLEMENTATION) ACT
Arrangement of Sections
1. Short title
3. Cessation of responsibility for certain pensions
4. Expenditure to be charged on general revenues
5. Repeal of section 12 of Cap. 279
to make provision for the implementation of the Public Officers’ Pensions (Zambia) Agreement, 1978; and to provide for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
[1st November 1985]
Act 22 of 1979.
This Act may be cited as the Public Officers’ Pensions (Zambia) Agreement (Implementation) Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
“Agreement” means the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Zambia and the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland executed by the parties thereto on the 8th August, 1978, which Agreement is set out in the Schedule.
After the commencement of this Act, the Government shall cease to have any responsibility for the award, control administration and payment of pensions covered by the Agreement.
(1) There shall be charged on and paid out of the general revenues of the Republic all such sums of moneys as may from time to time be due and payable under the Agreement.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in any other written law, the Government shall, after the commencement of this Act, pay to the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in respect of the widows’ and orphans’ pensions, such stocks, funds, securities or moneys as represent the interest in the Widows’ and Orphans’ Pension Fund established under the Widows and Orphans Pension Act of contributory officers and their potential beneficiaries alive at the date of the commencement of the Act, and the beneficiaries of deceased contributory officers as are alive on the date of the commencement of the Act.
Section 12 of the Widows and Orphans Pensions Act is hereby repealed.
AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF ZAMBIA AND THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND CONCERNING PUBLIC OFFICERS’ PENSIONS
The Government of the Republic of Zambia and the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland have agreed as follows—
(1) In this Agreement, except where the context otherwise requires—
(a) “actuary” means a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries or of the Faculty of Actuaries in Scotland;
(b) “the appointed day” means the day mutually arranged between the Government of the United Kingdom and the Government of Zambia;
(c) “inducement allowance” means any inducement allowance which is pensionable under the pensions laws enjoyed by an officer under the Overseas Service (Northern Rhodesia) Agreement 1961, or any agreement or any arrangement amending or replacing the same;
(d) “officer” means an officer or re-employed officer to whom the Public Officers Agreement between Her Majesty’s Government in the United Kingdom and the Government of Zambia signed at Lusaka on 24 October 1964 (hereinafter referred to as “the Public Officers’ Agreement”) applies or applied and who was not a citizen of Zambia on 1 April 1971 or who, having retired from the public service or having died in public service after that date, is not or was not a citizen of Zambia at the time of his retirement or death, as the case may be;
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.